Fellows are nominated by the Council for their outstanding contribution to the industry.
Fellowship is £148 for the year. Your membership to the Chartered Institute of Horticulture gives you access to the only community in the industry with members from every aspect of horticulture. We are the professional voice for horticulture, join and grow your career with us.
Members are nominated for Fellowship for their outstanding contribution to the horticultural industry therefore making this level of membership an impressive achievement. Fellowship allows you to use the post nominal letters FCIHort and demonstrates your high level of integrity and influence within the industry.
To nominate a candidate please email email@example.com or call 03330 050 181 and we will supply you with the application form.
Criteria for assessing suitability for nomination for Fellowship
Achievement of a high standard of distinction and responsibility
Examples would be:
- Amenity, e.g. Public service in substantial authorities, Chief Officers or equivalent, Curators of Botanic Gardens of national repute.
- National Bodies, e.g. Principal Officers, Curators of Crown Gardens, The National Trust, The Royal Horticultural Society, War Graves Commission.
- Private employment, e.g. Head Gardeners responsible for exceptionally fine gardens.
- Commercial, e.g. Directors, owners, general managers of substantial organisations in production, marketing, retailing.
- Landscape Architecture and Design, e.g. Principals with established professional standing.
- Education, e.g. Professors, Senior Lecturers, Principals of colleges, Vice Principals, Heads of Horticulture, Inspectors.
- Research, e.g. Directors, Deputies, Heads of Departments, authorities on specialised subjects.
- Horticultural Consultancy and Suppliers, e.g. Directors, Managers, Advisers with high professional standing.
Combination of research record and responsibility
Teaching or education development
Persons with special achievements in exceptional knowledge or practice
Why become a Fellow?
Progress to CIHort
Get on track to achieving Chartered Horticulturist status
A monthly email digest of industry and CIH events and news
Use of our logo
Which instils a sense of reliability and professionalism
The Horticulturist journal
View the full pdf copy of our journal, currently issued three times a year, written specifically for our members to keep them informed of current events and articles of interest
The CIH is the only body representing horticulture that is currently awarding chartered status, one which for me was well worth the effort of the process of applying for the chartered qualification.
Gary Taylor MBE, CIHort FCIHort
Joining the Institute allowed me to meet industry professionals from all across the sector, learn about areas of Hort outside of my own and supports their vital work in representing horticulture and bringing it together!
Douglas Mackay, MCIHort
If you work in horticulture and are serious about pursuing a career in this most fascinating and diverse of industries, I urge you to join the Chartered Institute of Horticulture and consider becoming a Chartered Horticulturist.
Andrew Gill, CIHort FCIHort