2017 Sample Questions
Test your knowledge and see if you have what it takes to enter and become this year’s Young Horticulturist of the Year!
1. These Primulas belong to which classification?
2. What is this style of commercial glasshouse called?
3. Ruta graveolens, the Rue, can cause which of the following health problems?
- Severe skin irritation
4. This formal garden design is a typical example of the early 20th century work of:
- William Robinson
- Sir Edwin Lutyens
- Humphrey Repton
- Lancelot Brown
5. This cluster of eggs belongs to which butterfly / moth species?
- Large Cabbage White
- Small Cabbage White
- Codling Moth
- Totrix Moth
6. Ferns can be propagated by:
- Seeds and cuttings
- Division and seed
- Seed and grafting
- Division and spores
Our 2017 Young Horticulturist of the Year national sponsors
We are indebted to all of our sponsors; our national sponsors are The Shropshire Horticultural Society, who are the major sponsors of the competition, as well as MorePeople and the Horticultural Trades Association (HTA) who all generously provide sponsorship throughout the duration of the competition. There are also many fantastically generous regional sponsors behind the scenes supporting our heats and regional finals.
2017 YHOY Competition Final
This year the Young Horticulturist of the Year competition returns to its roots for the 27th annual competition final. The Grand Final is to be held on May 6th at the University Centre Shrewsbury. Shrewsbury was home to Percy Thrower whose Trust provides an impressive £2500 travel bursary to the competition winner each year, alongside major sponsorship from the Shropshire Horticultural Society.